Baby Guts was a punk rock band from Minneapolis, active from 2006 to 2009.
Baby Guts, who's name humorously translates into, "infant courage" was a punk rock trio with influences ranging from Nirvana to ASS to Bikini Kill. The original members, Laura Larson and Taylor Motari met in high school in Burnsville MN, playing in separate bands of their own until forming together with drummer Brandon Lentz. With ambition to successfully move away from the suburbs and into a more meaningful abode, Laura and Taylor relocated their band to Minneapolis.
After many performances in several parts of the Midwest, including their own Minneapolis basement titled, "The Pocketknife", Baby Guts decided to write and record songs that can now be heard on their EP, Gasoline. While 'touring' with fellow local band, The Men Who Control the Weather around the Dakota's, Taylor and Laura decided it was time to drop former drummer Brandon Lentz for a more suitable replacement, Rob "Zam Zam" Goswitz.
With months of performing and rehearsing as the new lineup, the band decided to record themselves for various mediums, including: the Life of Monotony compilation The Pocketknife Demo, the EP Gasoline, and a 7" split with fellow Minneapolis band, Unicorn Basement.
Leading up to their first full length release, Baby Guts enjoyed the critical acclaim of several twin cities publications - including 'Best Female Vocalist' by City Pages. On May 29th, 2008, Baby Guts released "The Kissing Disease", which was recorded at the famous Pachyderm studioby Neil Weir of Chambermaids fame. Two months following the release, the band would once again find a new drummer in Ben Montreuil, who currently also plays in Les Deux Magots.
After a year of promoting "The Kissing Disease" through performing and touring, Baby Guts decided in the Fall of 2009 to retire as a band. This was mostly due to the individual members' desire to pursue other musical projects and directions. Ben may still be seen performing in "Les Deux Magots" while Taylor continues to perform with Teenage Moods. Laura continues to write and play in Kitten Forever as well as Cadette.
December 19th, 2009 marked the last show the three would perform together as Baby Guts.
- Laura Larson: Guitar/Lead Vocals
- Taylor Motari: Bass/Backing Vocals
- Ben Montreuil: Drums
- The Kissing Disease Released on Guilt-Ridden Pop Records (5/29/2008)
- Gasoline EP Released on Guilt-Ridden Pop Records (2007)
- The Pocketknife Demo Cassette released on Tardigrade Records (2007)
- Life of Monotony Cassette (2006)
- Staplegun on Exercise for Exorcisms vol. 1 (2006)
- Shark Attack/Shark Teeth 7" Split with Unicorn Basement released on Unnecessary Friction Records (2007)
- Split Cassette with Frank Jr Jr released on Unnecessary Friction Records (2008)
- Heart Gardens Split Singles Cassette series released on Unnecessary Friction Records (2008)
Related Web sites
This Content page is a stub. You can help Minnewiki by expanding it.